The new exhausts, the ends of the 2 reactor-gondolas and the tiny little space jockey in the cockpit where formed from epoxy putty.
For the detailing of the biomechanical structure on the model's surface I used small
steel-springs and chains, steel-net, wire and fine string. I also did some damage, covered with mesh-wire for a realistic look. (...because it must be very old wreckage as well!) To combine all this material with the resin I used repair cement and glue for the thin
string. The repair cement was perfect to create that typical biomechanical "boned growing look".
My imagination of the derelict is that this is not the exactly same body when the ship was
intact in space! The heavy impact on the planet's surface deformed it from its original
structure, so the wrecked body is bent and dented.
The diorama base is a wooden, hexagonal plate that measures 45cm diagonally.
The basic shape of the landscape is made from 50mm polistirol foam plate.
I used a screw through the middle of the main body (cockpit) to fix the model on the
In the movie, the derelict was simply still laying there in the landscape. So what happened? My imagination was an accident, made from this crazy alien in the chest of the dying pilot. So it must be an impact... Or isn't it? (And of course the planet lv-426 is not the home world of those terrible beasts.) So I put the body of the ship as if it had rammed down on the planet's surface, with the front of the derelict filled up with heavy rocks.
In the movie many of that rocks looks like bones with a smooth surface like they were polished... - or maybe melted down from a firing (nuclear) heat-storm? I formed the structures of the rocks with polish-plaster like pushed away from the impact.
Some broken parts of the ship are melted together with the ground and gives this
strange touch of a boned landscape.
For painting the body of the derelict I used colour from Revell. So the basic colour was dark grey, second a dry brushing with medium grey and washing with rust. Finally I did a dry brushing with light grey and little sepia dust from the planet's surface. For the landscape I made a thin washing with watery wall-colour umbra/black and a finish dry brushing with sepia-grey.
Image: The crew's first view
Image: Port side
Image: Port engine
Image: Portside exhaust
Image: Hard to describe
Image: Space jockey
Image: Starboard exhauts
Image: Starboard generator
Image: Cockpit dome