After that I started to weather and shade, which at the end left the camo scheme close to covered up fully. I found out a quite nice technique, which is done by adding bright brown and orange spots with water-based acrylic paints and afterwards rubbing it off again partly with cotton ear-cleaning tips dipped into alcohol. Decals were added and weathering continued layerwise until I thought it would be enough. At last I added some pigments to the different surfaces.
When weathering I found out that a real killer is when surfaces are not totally matte, rust in general roughens up a surface leaving it without any gloss, so glossy surfaces are generally speaking a real "no go" when weathering.
The scene it self is made directly onto the frame (which I covered with masking tape). I cut up pieces of hard foam (styrodur) and checked that the armored suit fit into it. Stones and gravel then covered the styrodur. Then I put on a layer of modelling plaster of paris and added more gravel and bird-sand for texturing. Trees were added beforehand and the rocky edge on the back was cut out directly from the foam and then covered up. The whole thing was painted in different earth tones mainly with drybrushing techniques and static grass was added. The squirrel like creature was made from putty and then painted.
I hope I caught the overall idea of it - the SAFS designs are really top notch I must admit!
Image: Front view