The model represents the AF-139/D designated "Longshot 6", piloted by Cmdr. Jacob Andrews during the evacuation of New Kell Colony. One of 16 surviving fighters out of a combined force of over 100, these small fighters - along with their attending micro-carriers and escorts - held off a far superior Karkon task force by luring the huge war craft into a series of skirmishes throughout the jumble of moons and debris that comprises the complex ring system of Kell Prime's outer 3 gas giants.
The model shows Longshot 6 as it is displayed at the Smithsonian Institute's "Defense of Humanity" exhibit resting on a combat lift recovered from the wreckage of TCCV Stryker, her home carrier.
About the model
Along time ago, I started an entry for the Spaceracers contest that due to circumstances beyond my control never got finished. I always thought of the racer design as a refitted aerospace fighter. One of my Bucket List projects has been to finish it up and build a second model of the fighter version to be displayed side by side. This contest gave me the excuse to finish at least half of that project. I saved my basic hull patterns but upgraded the concept a bit to construct a "later model". Maybe now I'll have inspiration enough to finish the Space racer.
This was a fun build and went together fairly quickly. Almost as important, my total materials cost [since I used so much scrap and leftovers from other projects.] was less than 30 dollars.... mostly spent on Zap-A-Gap. Being blessed with a lot of scrap Sintra, I used 1/8" and 1/4" flat sheet for almost everything, internal ribbing to outer hull. I used self-adhesive labels of various sizes for the raised panels and covered the hull with aluminum HVAC tape rubbed down tight with a soft wood paintbrush handle. The copper colored strips represent part of the ship's defense shield load-shedding hardware and are made of the copper tape strips used for faux stained glass projects. I painted the whole thing flat black then used steel wool to remove everything until I got the weathered look that felt right. I finished with long front to back sweeps with the steel wool to give it a constant "grain" effect.
Sheet styrene and a lot of bits and pieces from the old parts home make up the rest. I never thought I'd ever find a use for the franchise killing Kazon Torpedo but certain parts practically jumped off the sprue for this project. I also tried a couple of armored fairing designs over the main guns to hide the fact that they are pretty much straight up BattleTech Rifleman but they looked so good I ended up leaving them alone.
The landing gear was from an old die cast Ertl backhoe model I had laying around. I liked that they were narrow and had all the piston looking stuff mostly on them already. Plus they folded perfectly into the wells between the internal braces.
The cockpit has a lit instrument panel [I went kind of retro w/ the dial and gauge look] and LEDs that flash in sequence at 8 other points. The pilot seat is from a GI Joe submarine I found at a garage sale. Red and Green running lights top and bottom round out the wiring all powered by a 9v battery just behind the pilot seat. Fitting, since I imagine the reactor would have to be in about that spot.
The display base is a piece of shelving given the same HVAC tape finish but steel woolled in small circular patterns to contrast with the long horizontal grain of the ship.
A side note: several years ago I worked on a project that sent me to NASA to make castings of real space gear. The wonderful crew there gave out a few souvenirs to take back including some unused Emergency drinking water pouches that had been used on several shuttle flights. Whenever I do a custom space model like this I always include a small piece of the pouch foil somewhere so I can say that at least part of the ship has actually been in space. Totally geeky, I know.... In this case I'll just say it's somewhere on the upper hull...
Now if I can just get my wife to let me keep it in the living room.
Image: Top view
Image: Load shedders
Image: Front/right view