While doing so, I used some of the Glencoe upper stage portholes at each strut joint. Once painted, they blend in to create what I envisioned as the pivot point for the struts when they rotate back during upper stage lift-off. I also chose to re-enforce the landing struts with some more plastic round stock. To power the lander I used four larger engines (pilfered from my spares box) in place of the smaller Glencoe engines. Finally, I inverted the Revell LEM landing pads and attached them to the rectangular pads of the stock lander.
The base is from Revell's LEM kit. I added some 60-ish rock formations just to give it some personality.
The lone astronaut depicted is nominally 1/72 scale. The only thing I had around at the time was a generic male figure. I doctored him up with a back pack and helmet and he was ready to go.
I painted the entire lander with a white primer. I then applied the decals, including a few from the spares box on the cylindrical tanks. Next I applied a burnt sienna wash (a bit too much in retrospect). After that, I painted some of the smaller details and applied a dull coat finish. The base was first painted flat black followed with green and yellow dry brushing. The astronaut was white with a gray dry brushed finish.
Image: Overall, back
Image: One ity-bitty step for a man ....